Friday, October 16, 2009

I want to talk about Money...

“I want to talk about money!” is a thread from a JEA listserve. The gist of what the questioner is getting at are varying ways different advisers handle earning money for their publication. It seems that most advisers are either completely self-supporting with publications are get a small subsidy from their districts. All of the people on the chat have to earn money through advertising of some sort.




Many of the members of the group discuss their own solutions such as Journalism Patron Clubs, subscriptions, and grading students on how many ads they can obtain. There was much contention on this last issue. Many school districts didn’t allow students to be graded on the money they earned. However, teachers could grade on the process.



Many of the problems that these self-supporting publications faced had to do with buying equipment and updating classroom materials. All of these things are an anomaly to me because my paper is completely supported by my district. My journalism class is as well and I don’t have to sell any advertisements.



The one suggestion that I liked the best was the teacher who talked about the student bringing a portable vending machine to school and/or selling beverages for less than the school vending. I thought this was funny, but I am morally against giving teenagers more sugar because I too find the sale of candy very distracting and I wouldn’t want to be a part of the problem.



Some schools discussed fundraisers like selling bulbs and candles. They also suggested applying for grants and that you could find out where these grants were available by contacting people in charge.



Overall, the article was just a show of support from the high school scholastic journalism community. It offered suggestions and solutions that they use… best practices that often work. I find the listserve to be a very useful tool in becoming more adept as an English and Journalism teacher.

No comments: